Friday, January 29, 2010

January Notes


It's raining & cold as of this writing. Foxy & Kisia are in their stalls & knowing those two are ready to go out regardless of the weather. While winter is still most definitely upon us here, I'm feeling spring around the corner. Foxy is looking more glorious every day. She's a "mother earth" look about her as she nears the end of her pregnancy. I've noticed some behaviors that are typically uncharacteristic for her....pinning her ears at Kisia, nipping at Kisia, generally being annoyed with Kisia. Of course none of this phases Kisia in the least. She must be the most persistent horse I've ever encountered & certainly won't be thrown off her path by a little face making or a bite that doesn't even break the skin! Foxy & I are heading to Olive Branch next week for her last appointment with our wonderful vet there. We've put the finishing touches on the "foaling paddock" recently. I'll move Foxy there in a couple of weeks. While it's been too muddy to ride, Kisia & I have worked on the uh-uh spots she developed while in training. I've also put the halter on her several times & mounted up bareback to slosh a bit in the mud. Bareback with only a halter on a green broke 3 year old?!? What's life without a risk here & there? At least the mud makes for a soft, if messy, landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment