Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Journals & Quotes


For years now I've "journaled". I have a personal journal (which doesn't get nearly enough attention), book journal, equine "studies" journal, favorite quotes journal, loads of now closed journals & a Kisia journal. I've attempted to document Kisia's & my progress over the years & actually do study that little book to see how we're coming along as well as pick up on patterns in her behaviour. On the back of her journal I've written quotes I've come across that struck me as something I may want to keep on the tip of my mind while working with her & thought to share them here. While most are from Pat or Linda Parelli, I've not kept a good record of who said what so please forgive that oversight & don't "quote" me on who they are from.


Think could rather than would or should.


Only sustain something your horse willingly offers. *Karen Rolf


It's not about the obstacle or the task, it's about the quality of your communication with your horse.


Am I willing to do what it takes to be good enough for this horse?


To whom much is given....much is required.


If you knew it was lack of confidence, would going up your phases be the right thing to do....or would you stop & pat your horse & let him know that he's okay?


Begin with the end in mind.


When you & your horse can get lost in a world of dance, this is the art of horsemanship. This is when it is totally humane to ask your horse to perform at the top of his ability because he is enjoying his performance. You have increased his life's experiences. *Carolyn Resnick

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great quotes! "Am I willing to do what it takes to be good enough for this horse?" stuck out for me. That's going to help me with my challenging horse. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That one & Karen Rolf's quote have been the most helpful for us so far when a challenge arises.

    ReplyDelete